- Job ID: #LUTA-23-02
- Job Title: Technologist
- Department: Faculty of Natural Resources Management
- Campus: Thunder Bay, ON
- Status: Full Time, Permanent
- Job Category: LUTA
- Date Posted: August 30, 2023
- Closing Date: December 1, 2023
Why Lakehead University?
Thunder Bay is one of Canada’s top emerging cities. Here you will find a mix of modern city living and the best of nature – all on your doorstep. Thunder Bay provides small city affordability, big city opportunities and the bonus of a superior lifestyle. When it comes to location, nature and cost of living, Thunder Bay is one of the best places to live in Canada. For more on the vibrant city of Thunder Bay, visit thunderbay.ca.
At Lakehead University we challenge the conventional to provide a university experience that’s far from ordinary. Your unique ideas will be respected and encouraged. Join our thriving academic community where you can make a real difference through innovation and collaboration.
Lakehead is a comprehensive University with a reputation for innovative programs and cutting-edge research. In 2022, for the third year in a row, Lakehead University was included in the top 100 of the Times Higher Education Impact Rankings. Lakehead is the highest ranked university in the world with under 10,000 students. Maclean’s has once again included Lakehead University among Canada’s top 10 primarily undergraduate universities in the magazine’s 2023 University Rankings.
About this Job
Lakehead University, Thunder Bay Campus, invites applications for a full-time Technologist in the Faculty of Natural Resources Management. The position will commence as soon as possible.
The position will assist with the instruction of labs and field schools in various undergraduate and graduate courses that the NRM faculty offers. The position will also be responsible for maintaining the off-campus University properties managed by the Faculty and used in teaching and research. Further, applicants will be responsible for managing the vehicle fleet and the field equipment room of the Faculty. Support to undergraduate thesis research and/or Master of Forest Management internship work may also be required depending on Faculty needs.
- Master’s degree in a discipline related to forest sciences and/or management. Consideration will also be given to applicants with an Honours Bachelor of Science with four years relevant work experience.
- Expertise in forest management, forest planning, wood science, or forest mensuration.
- Experience using software packages such as Woodstock, FSOS, Patchworks.
- Teaching experience.
- Practical experience using various field and analytical equipment.
- Familiarity with a variety of field-based activities as well as the safe operation of motorized equipment and vehicles
- Professional designation (i.e., Registered Professional Forester) or eligibility for will be considered as an asset.
- Knowledge of Ontario's forest legislation, regulations and policies including a working knowledge of all forest management manuals from the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry will be considered as an asset.
- Experience with short duration training and continuing education will be considered as an asset.
Office, lab, and outdoor environment
What do We Offer?
This position offers a competitive remuneration package including salary, comprehensive benefits package, life insurance, pension plan, and tuition waiver.
Lakehead University has a commitment to supporting employees and providing opportunities for flexible and diverse work arrangements. We are proud to share the Alternate Work Arrangement Guideline as a step to creating innovative schedules that work for our employees to promote a quality work-life balance. Please inquire with the Dean if this position is eligible for an Alternate Work Arrangement.
How to Apply
Interested applicants may apply by clicking on this link to this Google Form and attaching your cover letter and resume in word or PDF format.
If you are experiencing any issues with the Google Form, please email email@example.com for assistance.
We appreciate your interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be notified. Lakehead University is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals including women, racialized persons, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and other equity-seeking groups. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. This is in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements.
Lakehead University is committed to supporting an accessible environment. Applicants requiring accommodation during the interview process should contact the Office of Human Resources at (807) 343.8334 or firstname.lastname@example.org to make appropriate arrangements. Employment Opportunity