We are Austria’s largest research and technology organisation and an international player in applied research for innovative infrastructure solutions. This makes us a powerful development partner for industry and a top employer in the scientific community. Our Center for Health & Bioresources in Tulln (in immediate vicinity to Vienna) invites applications for a:
Internship with the possibility of writing a master’s thesis „Development of biocontrol strains against fungal disease“
- Center for Health & Bioresources -
- In the coming years, the use of chemical pesticides is to be reduced in order to be able to feed the growing world population while maintaining the same yield.
- For this reason, biological agents that have fewer side effects on the environment are being sought above all. Biological crop protection methods are based on natural antagonists of pests and pathogens. These can be fungi, bacteria or viruses. At AIT, we are mainly looking for bacteria that protect the plant against diseases.
- One of the most important diseases in wheat cultivation worldwide is caused by Fusarium graminearum and Phytophthora infestans in potato cultivation.
- As part of our multidisciplinary team, you will work in an applied research project aiming to develop new biological control agents.
- Bacterial strains from the strain collections, will be tested in the lab and in the greenhouse. The focus will be on two plant diseased, Fusarium head blight and late blight.
- In addition, a field test of wheat against will Fusarium head blight is being managed near our building. The work includes the preparation of the inoculum, spraying of the biological solution and scoring of the disease symptoms.
- To prove the scoring of the disease symptoms, the amount of fungal DNA will be measured with quantitative PCR.
- Your contribution should lead to results in microbial strains that will be tested in field trials.
- You will create synergies with our industrial partners in the project and increase efficiency through collaboration.
- Your results can contribute to sustainable agriculture.
Your qualifications as an Ingenious Pratner:
- Ongoing master’s studies in the field of Microbiology, Biotechnology, Molecular Biology, or similar
- Knowledge in working with microbes
- Accuracy in laboratory work
- Interested in plant experiment in greenhouse and field
- Enthusiasm for scientific work
- Interest to work in a multidisciplinary team and collaborate on different topics
- Good verbal and written communication skills in German or English
What to expect:
- Starting date: possible as of April 2023
- A remuneration of at least EUR 1.256,-- gross per month for 38.5 hours per week. In addition to our company benefits, we offer flexible working conditions and work experience in a highly innovative environment.
- As a research institution, we are familiar with the supervision and implementation of final theses. In case you are interested in writing your master’s thesis throughout this internship, please let us know - We are looking forward to supporting you accordingly.
AIT participates in the FEMtech programme of the Austrian Research Promotion Agency, as the promotion of young female scientists is important to us. Therefore, we are particularly looking forward to applications from interested female students who would like to get to know the field of technology research.
Please submit your application documents (CV and cover letter) online.
For further information, please contact:
Dr. Friederike Trognitz, firstname.lastname@example.org
TOMORROW TODAY - WITH YOU?